Monday, January 9, 2012

1. What have you undertaken or done on your own in the last year or two that has nothing to do with academic work? (Northwestern)

I didn’t have much time to do many things outside of academic work. However, in last week months I got involved in many different school positions attempting to give a new change to the school. Well I did not get the student council position, but attended an interview with development office and achieved a position working with alumni. Since I got the position at the end of the semester and I didn’t have any time to work with the office, but I am looking forward to work with them. I also got involved with much social work in Korea, since my family own a social community. I started a small English football club with the orphans, I am sure they enjoyed playing football every Sunday and learning English while playing football. However, due to the heavy snow we couldn’t continue the football club. So my brother and I have decided to create an English class where any of the orphans could participate. We first divided the students into two groups, not according to their level, me and my brother took a group each and thought the group for two hours than switched the group. We thought them starting with basic alphabets and vocabularies; however, they said it was really easy for them and I had to print out the harder copies for them. I was really surprised; I didn’t think that they knew much of it. Since they went through hard stages staying away from their parents and getting abandoned by parents, I thought some of them didn’t even bother to study and learn in depressing stage. Unlike how I thought, they desire to study more and even some of them had talent in study. Some couldn’t speak Korean properly since their parents never thought them how to speak, however, they were born genius learning English in short amount of time. I look forward to continue teaching this orphans next holiday and looking forward to bring new ideas back from the school to teach them new thing.

2 comments:

  1. This was so bad, it made me want to kill myself

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was so bad, it made me want to kill myself

    ReplyDelete