Wednesday, November 9, 2011

# Describe a risk that you have taken and discuss its impact on your life. (Kalamazoo College/93)

I think the biggest risk I took was deciding to apply for Woodstock. It might sound stupid, but it was a risk for me to take, since I did not know how to speak English well or write. People might think it is easy to learn a new language; however, it is difficult to learn a new language in middle school. It is also scientifically proven that it is much easier to learn a language when you are young. Not only I had problem learning English, but I also had problems with studies. I used to get A+ in most of my subject in Korea, but when I entered Woodstock I did not have any grade higher than C. Because I could not understand simple questions I failed in all my subjects. If I gave up in 6th grade I would be regretting so much, because as the time went by I realized, taking this risk changed my life. I was not part of Korean cycle anymore, where the majority of students go for academy until the midnight. I realized that I do not have to repeat the same boring cycle everyday and enjoy my life as a Woodstock student. Woodstock does have strict rules, but I could still enjoy playing outside and attending social activities. It made my life much happier than life in Korea where I have to study every day. That was not the only impact, I also think by coming to such a great school made me a better student and also gave me higher chances to get in to colleges I aimed for. It took me one step forward to my goals and dreams which I never imagined for it to become true. We can lose many things by taking risk, however, risk is not always bad to take, because it can bring a big change in to our life.

No comments:

Post a Comment